The Shelby Township real estate market provides a beautiful atmosphere in which to live. Its proximity to major shopping areas such as Troy and Rochester along with its scenic beauty at Stony Creek Metropark, Shelby Township continues to thrive while still holding onto its picturesque charm. The population has grown considerably since 2000 due to its bustling business community and excellent schools.
Shelby Township is located on the western side of Macomb County next to Oakland County and has a population of nearly 74,000 residents spread across its 35 square miles.
Shelby Township is home to two great parks in Macomb County. River Bends Park is situated in the south end of Shelby Township and features the Clinton River running through it. It’s the perfect spot for enjoying a picnic or watching the kids play on the playground. This park also has a disc golf course, archery and trails that allow you to enjoy the picturesque views of the Clinton River.
Located in Macomb County, the Shelby Township neighborhood is nestled just north of M-59 with M-53 cutting through the center. Being close to these two main roads allows easy access for heading east toward Lake St. Clair or west toward Rochester Hills and Auburn Hills. Shelby Township is also about a 35 minute drive to the heart of downtown Detroit.
There are many thriving businesses throughout the Shelby Township community thanks to its conveniently located business districts. These neighborhoods are home to everything from small businesses that keep the economy going to retail stores and restaurants that are local favorites during the weekday lunch hour. You’ll also find that major technological firms like Kuka Robotics calls Shelby Township home.
The Shelby Township community is within 10 miles of various amenities including:
• The Mall at Partridge Creek – this open-air shopping center is packed with 90 stores, a movie theater, restaurants as well as a TV Court, pop jet fountains and a 30-foot fireplace.
• Yates Cider Mill – Located in Rochester Hills, Yates Cider Mill is a community staple and ideal for enjoying scenic beauty, delicious cider and donuts and strolls along the river.
• Stony Creek Metropark – you’ll have that up-north feel without ever leaving the suburbs of Detroit. It’s 4,400+ acres of park area features golf and disc golf courses and miles of scenic trails.
• Stony Creek Metropark – This sprawling metropark offers pleasant views of nature and water. For those looking to enjoy a day outdoors, they can head to Stony Creek Metropark which features over 4,400 acres of park area including golf courses and trails for hiking, biking and cross-county skiing. The lake spreads over 500 acres and is ideal for boating and swimming. There’s even a winter sports area perfect for toboggans, sleds and snowboards.
• River Bends Park – River Bends Park is nestled in the south of Shelby Township real estate market and offers beautiful views of the Clinton River. There are areas for disc golf, archery as well as mountain biking.
When you live in the Shelby Township community you’ll find that you’re close many great features that the northern metro Detroit suburbs have to offer. Even when you want to head into the city, it’s not too far of a drive.
• Detroit Metropolitan Airport (Approx. 50 mins)
• Detroit Tigers at Comerica Park Detroit Red Wings at the Joe Louis or Detroit Lions at Ford Field (Approx. 35 minutes)
• Lake St. Clair (Approx. 25 minutes)
• Oakland University – Rochester Hills (Approx. 20 minutes)
• Great Lakes Crossing Outlet Mall – Auburn Hills (Approx. 25 minutes)
• Somerset Collection - Troy (Approx. 25 minutes)
Shelby Township has its history dating back to the 1820’s when it encompassed many of the surrounding neighborhoods like Sterling Heights and Utica. A farmhouse dating back to 1822 is the city’s oldest structure. While still known for its rural landscapes and open park areas, Shelby Township has had the joys of growing slowly throughout the years helping to maintain its quiet charm.
Although he never called it home, famous Detroit boxer Joe Louis owned land that he donated to the community which includes part of River Bends Park.
The majority of the students in Shelby Township will attend the Utica Community Schools which also serves other neighborhoods like Sterling Heights, Macomb Township, Ray Township and Utica.
With over 29,000 students, the Utica Community Schools has:
For the growing family, the Shelby Township community is an excellent spot to call home. There are plenty of outdoor activities for the kids, outstanding schools and low millage rates making this area very enticing for the young buyer. Shelby Township has a business-friendly mentality to help with growth and residents will find that their commutes throughout the metro Detroit area are conveniently close by.
• Population: 74,000
• 21% of the population over the age of 25 have a bachelor’s degree or higher
• Median age is 37
• Median Household Income is $76,312
Planning to buy or sell a home in Shelby Township? Let our local Shelby Township real estate team guide you through the sale of your current Shelby Township home or purchase your next Shelby Township property. As Shelby Township real estate experts and real estate agents, we're well-versed in the unique market dynamics of Shelby Township real estate. We're ready to work with you today!
Contact the Mark Z home selling team to learn more about representation for buyers and sellers. Preparing to sell your Shelby Township home? View our comparative market analysis page to receive a free Shelby Township home value estimate analysiswithin moments.